The Curated Geek is meant as a way to keep up with the news, given the limited time we have in a day. An overview of the geek world. Keeping up is a bit of a hassle with all the cool sites around, so that’s where I come in. I will curate the existing geek news sphere and give you the highlights in a handy format. And you can be sure I watched it first ;-).
Now who is this person telling you what I should read, and why should you listen to me? Well, I am Jeroen van Kleef, a professional journalist in The Netherlands and a geek culture enthusiast. I wrote a book about the American Elections of 2016 and have been in the media industry in some form or another for 10+ years. Basically, I am a certified wise ass. ;-)
That being said the reason why I started this blog is my passion for the tech industry. I think this is a golden age for anyone geek. There are more and better games than ever, computer hardware is (reasonably) affordable and you can get a lot for your money. If you want to game for cheap there are places like Humble Bundle (they are a sponsor) and if you just want to watch, there’s Twitch.
All in all, I think it’s a pretty cool time to be a geek. So I might as well try and make you part of my world as much as I hope to share in yours.
Coming from a professional media company, I know how important it is to show what you do. I might be taking this a bit too seriously but bear with me:
- I track your every move. I also keep an eye on you through your webcam. So put that back in your pants.
- All joking aside, I just use Matomo on my own server to track which pages are being used. Only Matomo places cookies (2) and your ip-data is being anonimized (2 bytes, if you want to know exactly). Those are the only cookies I place, and so no cookie message will have to appear. Saves you accepting the damn thing too.
- This site is secured through a 4096-bits key encryption (thanks to Let’s Encrypt).
- The hosting of this site uses 100% wind-powered servers (Confirmed by the Green web Foundation).
- I use open source software wherever I can. That means WordPress, Gimp, Vivaldi, and Firefox.
- All pictures are either coming from Pixabay, are free of rights/fair use or are made by me.
- Since running a site costs money, I use affiliate links when I can. This allows the site to be free and to invest in things like a private server and a CDN.
- Be merry and turn your adblocker on, there is nothing here to block but go for it.
Want to get in touch with me? You can. The most effective method is Twitter. Click here to go and talk to us on the Donalds favorite medium.
Prefer something more
Please note that I can’t possibly respond to every single message. However, I read them all and I will try and respond to as many as I can.